Do you have 225/40R18 tires on your car? In this article, we’ll tell you what the best 225/40R18 tires on the market are. What to look for when choosing 225/40R18 tires for your car.
Your car already has 225/40R18 tires installed, then we recommend using this tire size in the future.
How to Read Your Tire Size?
The tire size (225/40R18) can be found on the sidewall of your tires, or in the service book of your vehicle. If you don’t know which tire size is right for your car, read our tire selection reviews for each car model.
Most vehicles are equipped with all-season tires that provide acceptable versatility throughout the year and in all weather conditions. 225/40R18 tires from well-known brands will cost a bit more because they produce higher quality tires. You may want to research what is available and set a budget for your purchase.
Tires 225/40R18 Best Choice:
The Ventus V2 concept2 (H457) is Hankook’s High Performance All-Season tire developed for the drivers of mid-level sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans looking for dynamic styling and all-season performance. Designed to combine a cutting-edge appearance with responsive performance, the Ventus V2 concept2 delivers all-season traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, even in light snow. The tire’s internal structure features two wide steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped, high-density nylon to help keep the footprint contact pressure stable even during hard cornering and performance driving. This is an excellent high performance tire for the money.
Winter / Snow Tires 225/40R18
All-season tires may not be sufficient for winter conditions in your state. For maximum safety in winter conditions, we recommend having one set of summer or all-season tires 225/40R18 and one set of winter tires 225/40R18.
Each tire 225/40R18 has its own unique qualities that set it apart from others. In some regions, studded tires are acceptable. Some types of tires perform better on snow, others on ice. Some have an aggressive tread pattern, while others have “smart” slots in the tire called sipes that help grip the road. We’ve selected for you the best all-around set of winter tires 225/40R18.
Best Winter Tires 225/40R18
The Hankook Winter Icept Evo2 tire has an optimized asymmetric tread for touring sedans and sporty cars driving in all winter conditions. The tread blocks and sipes bite into the snow and ice for greater grip and traction performance. The tire features several new advances in tire technology that help to keep you safe even in harsh winter weather and in extreme cold. For example, the high-grip silica compound keeps the tread soft and pliable in cold weather, and the high sipe density gives the tire plenty of biting edges for extra grip. With this tire, you also don’t sacrifice ride quality thanks to the jointless full cover reinforced belt under the tread, and a high-hardness bead filler for improved handling and steering response.
The VikingContact 7 is Continental’s Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for drivers of sedans, crossovers, coupes and minivans looking for enhanced winter confidence through advanced technology. Designed to deliver excellent traction in wintertime slush, snow and ice plus reliable wet performance and secure dry-road handling, the VikingContact 7 is optimized for a variety of winter weather. The VikingContact 7’s 3D sipes feature varying thicknesses. While all the sipes create biting edges for grip in slippery conditions, the wider sipes form snow pockets that collect snow from the surface and hold it in the pattern, creating snow-to-snow traction for improved performance. Grip Edges on the outside of the tread blocks grab into snow and effectively increase the contact area of the tire, further enhancing traction on snow- and ice-covered roads.
225/40R18 Recommended Tires
Many drivers’ chief priority is to find the quietest possible all-season tires 225/40R18, that maintains adequate steering feel and all-weather dependability.
Here are the best options that will help you achieve a quieter ride:
Best 225/40R18 Tires:
Tire sidewall information
Tire size information is found on the tire sidewall, along with numbers and letters. The first of these numbers is the width in millimeters.
Most tires have this information on the sidewall:
- Section Width in Millimeters. For a 225/40R18 tire, the tire width is 185 mm
- The ratio of the section height to width, measured in %. For a 225/40R18 tire, this value is 55%.
- Tire cord construction (R/RF): radial/reinforced tire
- Rim diameter in inches (should be the same as the car’s rim). For a 225/40R18 tire, this value is 16 Inches
- Load Index. Indicates the level of permissible load per wheel.
- Speed Symbol. This is the speed symbol at which the tire gives the usual level of performance.
Tire Speed Rating:
- Q – 100 (mph)
- R – 106 (mph)
- S – 112 (mph)
- T – 118 (mph)
- U – 124 (mph)
- H – 130 (mph)
- V – 149 (mph)
- W – 168 (mph)
- Y – 186 (mph)
Winter Tire sidewall information
- M+S (Mud and Snow) are all-season tires which have been approved for use in both muddy and snowy conditions by the Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (depending on the brand, it may be shown as M&S or just MS).
- 3PMSF – three-peak mountain snowflake. Means high performance on snowy roads. This designation appears on every winter tire.
What’s On Your Tire’s Sidewall?
- Tire Type
- Tire Width
- Aspect Ratio
- Wheel Diameter
Tire Size Explained
Types of Tires 225/40R18
225/40R18 Touring Tires Types:
- Grand Touring All-Season
- Grand Touring Summer
- Standard Touring All-Season
- Passenger All-Season
- Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
- Highway All-Season
- Highway Rib Summer
Touring tires provide a smoother ride and good traction (on wet and dry roads), better winter traction, a pleasant ride and a long tread life.
225/40R18 Performance Tires Types:
- Extreme Performance Summer
- Max Performance Summer
- Ultra High Performance All-Season
- Ultra High Performance Summer
- High Performance All-Season
- High Performance Summer
- Performance All-Season
- Street/Sport Truck All-Season
High performance tires focus on responsiveness, better wet, and dry traction, good winter traction, shorter tread life.
225/40R18 Snow (Winter) Tires Types:
- Studless Ice & Snow
- Studdable Winter / Snow
- Performance Winter / Snow
- Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow
- Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow
- Light Truck/SUV Performance Winter / Snow
Winter tires are designed for driving in cold, slushy, and icy conditions. Not suitable for use outside winter.
Best tires brand 225/40R18
Michelin Tires 225/40R18
Michelin is known as one of the leading tire brands. Over the course of its existence, the Michelin brand has earned a reputation for producing high-quality rubber that helps ensure high fuel economy in every tire.
Michelin best tires:
- All-season: Michelin Defender
- Highway: Michelin Premier LTX
- All-terrain: Michelin LTX A/T
- Run Flat: Michelin Primacy MXM4
- Snow: Michelin Latitude X-Ice
Goodyear Tires 225/40R18
The American company Goodyear, is a renowned manufacturer in the industry and ranks as the largest tire manufacturer in the world. Goodyear is synonymous with quality. This reputation the company has earned through the quality of its products, tenacious grip, and exceptional responsiveness in handling.
Goodyear best tires:
- All-season: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
- Highway: Goodyear Wrangler SR-A
- All-terrain: Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT
- Run Flat: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S ROF
- Mud: Goodyear Fierce Attitude M/T
- Snow: Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT
Continental Tires 225/40R18
German brand Continental is one of the best tire brands in the world. Continental has become a trusted manufacturer of tires for almost all types of passenger cars. Continental is known for offering some of the best car tires and specialized options for high-end cars.
Continental best tires:
- All-season: Continental TrueContact Tour
- Highway: Continental ContiTrac
- All-terrain: Continental TerrainContact A/T
- Sport: Continental CrossContact UHP
- Run Flat: Continental ContiProContact SSR
- Snow: Continental WinterContact SI
BF Goodrich Tires 225/40R18
BF Goodrich is another leading American tire brand with a rich history. BF Goodrich is known for producing car tires that increase driving enjoyment.
BF Goodrich best tires:
- All-season: BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport
- Highway: BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour
- All-terrain: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
- Mud: BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM 2
Bridgestone Tires 225/40R18
Bridgestone, one of the leading tire manufacturers that was created in Japan. Bridgestone has earned a reputation as one of the leading tire brands and one of the most innovative manufacturers in the industry. The merger of Firestone and Bridgestone formed the largest tire and rubber business on the planet!
Bridgestone best tires:
- All-season: Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
- Highway: Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 ECOPIA
- All-terrain: Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2
- Run Flat: Bridgestone Driveguard RFT
- Sport: Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport
- Snow: Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
Pirelli Tires for 225/40R18
The Italian company Pirelli is widely recognized as one of the best tire brands in the world since its foundation. The company’s roots go back to Formula 1 racing. Pirelli has built its reputation with high-speed tires. However, Pirelli tires are perfect for racers and everyday driving as well.
Pirelli best tires:
- All-season: Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus
- Highway: Pirelli Scorpion STR
- All-terrain: Pirelli Scorpion All-terrain Plus
- Sport: Pirelli Scorpion Verde
- Run Flat: Pirelli Cinturato P7
- Snow: Pirelli Scorpion Winter
Falken Tires for 225/40R18
The Japanese Falken brand specializes in high performance tires. Falken tires have quickly gained a reputation as one of the best tire brands due to their reliable and versatile products.
Falken best tires:
- All-season: Falken Ziex ZE950 A/S
- Highway: Falken Wildpeak H/T
- All-terrain: Falken Rubitrek A/T
- Sport: Falken FK-453CC
- Mud: Falken Wildpeak MT01
- Snow: Falken Espia EP-Z
Best winter tires 225/40R18:
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV
- Continental VikingContact 7
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
- Dunlop Winter Maxx WM02
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
- Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
- Hankook Winter icept evo2
- Cooper Evolution Winter
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV
- Pirelli Ice Zero FR
Tires 225/40R18 Pricing
Best Tires under $100
In this price range, you can buy good tires from not-so-popular manufacturers: Achilles ATR Sport, Mastercraft Glacier Trex, NeoTerra NeoTour, Toyo Extensa, Nexen Aria, Kumho Solus. The tread may not last as long as more expensive tires, but the price makes up for it all.
Best Tires under $120
The majority of tires fall into this category. These are tires from popular manufacturers, of various types. The most popular tire models: Yokohama Avid, Goodyear Assurance, Pirelli Cinturato P7, Firestone Winterforce, Hankook Kinergy, Nexen N5000, Falken Sincera, Continental TrueContact Tour.
Best Tires under $150
For that price, you’ll get the best tires from the world’s most popular brands, which will have high performance and a long service life. The most popular tire models: Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus, BF Goodrich Advantage, Firestone FR710, Nokian Nordman 7, Cooper Discoverer True North, Hankook Optimo, Bridgestone Blizzak, BF Goodrich Advantage, Cooper CS5 Grand Touring, Nokian eNTYRE, Continental ContiProContact.
Best Tires under $200
These are high-end premium tires that will give you maximum traction and riding comfort. The most popular tire models: Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack, Nokian C Line Van, Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready, Michelin CrossClimate, Bridgestone Driveguard, Michelin Premier, Dunlop SP Sport 7000, Cooper Trendsetter SE, Nokian Hakkapeliitta C3, Michelin X-Ice Snow.